Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Water based nail polish versus regular polish

I've been meaning to write about this topic for a while now and today is the big day, I will explain for once and for all the difference between regular nail polish and the natural water based polish. What inspired me today you ask? Actually on my way to the store, in the metro, I noticed a young girl biting her nails. This seems like a pretty lame inspiration but for me this was big! I had to almost hold myself back from talking her out of doing this very harmful act. The reason why I was so affected is because this girl was wearing a very stylish dark purple polish. I have nothing against purple polish or those who wear them but I am pretty sure this was not a natural polish, and the thought of this poor girl eating all those toxic ingredients (along with some of her own nails and skin) made me really mad. And so here we are, I am going to explain why regular polish should be avoided at all cost! Here goes!!

Regular polish contains formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalates and FD&C colors. You wonder what this four syllable words are? I do not want to get into very scientific explanations but to summarize, these are harmful chemicals that the human body cannot get rid of, so it is accumulated in our system. What this accumulation can do? Well, we do not quite know, some people speculate by saying it might cause cancer and other ailments. But what I say is, why take the risk if it can be avoided or replaced by something else.

These harsh solvent-based nail polishes are simple solutions of nitrocellulose resins in strong solvents. Nitrocellulose is used because it forms a very hard film as the solvents evaporate from the base. These same bad smelling solvents are used to remove the polish by dissolving the film.

On the other hand, water-based polish, uses an emulsion resin in the form of billions of very small particles suspended in water. So as the water evaporated, the particles touch each other and form a hard film which is no longer soluble in water. It may seem like these two systems are similar but actually they as different as night and day. One cures by reversible solvent evaporation and the other by creating a tightly knit film. One can be easely removed while the other not so easily.

In a nutshell, here it is, the difference between regular and water based nail polish.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm getting rid of all my old toxic nail polish by sending it to the mail-in program at Chemwise.org.

Eco Yogini said...

so true!!! i also think the SAME THING when I see someone with dark nail polish. I have a friend who gives her new born twins pedicures.... so I gave her as a "present" some pretty pink zoya polish- sans those big three toxins (although not water soluble..). Phew!

I am so happy that you enjoyed my "lush" post! :) and i'm sad that I didn't discover your store while I lived in the plateau (papineau and st joseph actually!). I would have ADORED your boutique!! sigh.

it will be a MUST visit for my "back to montreal" trip! :)

Followers